Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mom's Best Friend



I guess this is a bit dramatic, but seriously this appliance is a life saver!
The Slow Cooker :)

I love being able to throw dinner together in the morning and not have to worry about it the rest of my laundry filled day! Here is an excellent recipe from the Rival Crock Pot Cookbook:



Heavenly Harvest Pork Roast
makes 6-8 servings
1/4 cup pomegranate juice *
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon steak seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 pork roast, any type (4 to 5 pounds)
2 pears, cores, peeled and sliced thick
1/2 orange with peel, sliced thick

combine pomegranate juice and sugar in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Pour into slow cooker.
Blend seasonings in small bowl and rub over mixture over roast. Place roast in slowcooker, turning to coat in juice mixture.
Top roast with pear and orange slices. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 8 hours or until tender. Serve with juice and fruit slices.


* I used the juice I had on hand...cran/pomegranate
Also, I left the peel on the pears, they seem to hold up better. I cooked mine on high for the first 5 hours and and then low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought a mini one. It's just the right size for me :)

Anonymous said...

It must be so fresh tasting with the pear and orange. Yum.

Lory said...

I love love love slow cookers! In fact, I have a 2-qt, a 6-qt, a 6-qt digital, and another 5-qt. Not only do i use them to cook, I also use them during big parties to keep foods warm.