Colder weather also begs for soup! This is a new one I found on Taste Of Home's website. It is delicious!! I have savored the leftovers!! This is one soup sure to warm you inside out! It is very fun to make too!
For the cooked chicken, I like to poach it. I place a pound of boneless chicken breast in a pot and cover with cold water and slowly simmer for 25-35 minutes until no longer pink. Try to keep the water from coming to a full boil.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
• 2 quarts chicken broth
• 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
• 1 cup finely chopped celery
• 1 cup shredded carrots
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
• 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 cup butter, cubed
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
• 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
• 3 cups cooked wild rice
• 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, melt butter. stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine or broth. Add rice and chicken; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).