Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Mission 1: Cranberry Cherry Pie


This year I decided to make a special pie for my uncles to have on Christmas :)
It has been a while since we have spent the holidays together and I wanted to do something extra special. Uncle G likes cherry pie the best, but loves cranberries. So, I found a recipe to join his two favorites to make a tart but sweet treat!

Cranberry Cherry Pie
Tasteofhome.com

Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
• 2 cups cranberries
• Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
• Milk and additional sugar
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pie filling and cranberries. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Pour filling into crust.
Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut slits in pastry or cut out stars with a star-shaped cookie cutter. Place pastry over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Arrange star cutouts on pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375°for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings

Uncle G came over last night for dinner and was presented his pie. He was shocked and very pleased! He even shared a piece with all of us!
Mission 2: Raisin Pie for Uncle J. Uncle J remembers raisin and mincemeat pies from his childhood. When I asked my aunt what his favorite was, she said raisin. She told me he often mentions the pie from his past and wonders why you can never find one now days :) Never fear I will be making one today and delivering it in Texas tomorrow!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

7 comments:

Shelby said...

Looks awesome Sarah! Hope you had a great day!

Nadine said...

Nice pie. I like the stars. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

P.s. When you get a chance come on by for my book giveaway.

Jacque said...

It sounds and looks delicious! The bright red peeking through is perfect for the holidays :)

Jacque said...

Ooops, sorry, I forgot to say, sure, I'd love to see your chocolate chess pie recipe. Sounds intiguing. I'm at mountaingirl@cinci.rr.com.

artisbliss said...

What a beautiful pie! I'm no good at piecrust but my 21 year old son is, so he makes the crust and I make the filling. I think it's a good deal!

Anonymous said...

I love the star cut-outs!

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

Oh wow! This pie looks incredibly awesome!

I love your blog. I love to bake!!